This is a course designed to train teachers to provide mathematical intervention in a group setting. Rx for Discovery Math is specifically intended for students in grades K-5 who would benefit from early intervention or whose basic math skills are below expected standards.
The techniques reviewed in the course will build and strengthen a child’s number sense, math fluency, math vocabulary and problem solving strategies. Students will also be challenged to apply their growing understanding of number sense to novel problems solving activities that challenge thinking and reasoning.
The course will equip successful participants to:
- implement a weekly intervention for math students in a group setting
- use a multi-sensory game-based approach that is fun yet effective and reduces math anxiety
- better understand student needs in math, based on four subtypes of math disabilities
- set foundational math concepts that strengthen number sense and math fluency
- assist children to bolster their problem solving skills
2.5 day course